Easy Egg Sandwich
Make egg salad using hard boiled eggs, canola-based mayo and mustard then serve on a toasted whole wheat English muffin or mini bagel
Benefit: Give your kids muscle-building protein
Breakfast To-Go Sticks
Split two whole graham crackers into quarters – eight mini rectangles. Spread four rectangles with peanut butter then add sliced strawberries and/or banana, top with remaining rectangles to make 4 sandwich sticks.
Benefit: Peanut butter has healthful monounsaturated fats that help keep kids full until lunchtime.
Kids Lunch Ideas
Spicy Taco Wrap
Rinse and mashed canned pinto beans. Add a pinch of taco seasoning, then stir in salsa. Spread on a whole wheat tortilla, top with chopped tomato, shredded cheese and roll up.
Benefit: Making your own refried-style beans means kids get less sodium than regular refried beans
Birthday Party Ideas
Waffle Cone Sundaes
Set out waffle cones and bowls along with containers of berries, cut-up peaches, kiwi and other fruit, and fat-free whipped topping. Then let the kids build their own waffle sundaes.
Benefit: Buy fruits in a variety of colors. More colors equals more nutrition!
Grilled Sweet Potato Fries
Prep: 10 minutes, Stand: 5 minutes, Grill: 4 minutes
Yields: Makes 4 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 medium-size)
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- Pierce sweet potatoes several times with tines of a fork. Place on a microwave-safe plate; cover with damp paper towels. Microwave at HIGH 6 to 8 minutes or until tender. Let stand 5 minutes. Peel and cut in half lengthwise. Cut into (1/2- x 3-inch) strips. Coat evenly with vegetable cooking spray, and sprinkle evenly with salt.
- Coat cold grill cooking grate with cooking spray, place on grill over medium-high heat (350° to 400°). Place potato strips on grate.
- Grill potatoes, covered with grill lid, for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until grill marks appear on fries
Yields: 10 servings
- ½ cup onions – chopped
- 4 oz green chilies – chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups long-grain white rice – cooked
- 10 oz tomatoes and green chilies – undrained
- 5 oz chicken breast strips – cooked and cubed
- 1 T lime juice
- low-fat tortilla chips
- In a large saucepan, cook onions and chilies until tender.
- Add broth, rice, tomatoes, and chicken cubes. Mix well.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in lime juice.
- Top each serving with tortilla chips.
Yields: 4 servings
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 T chili powder
- 1 cup water
- 2 (15 oz) canned pinto beans, drained
- 2 (15 oz) stewed tomatoes, Mexican style
- 3 cups fat-free Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Over medium high heat, pour oil into ovenproof skillet.
- Sauté onion and bell peppers until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add chili powder and cook another minute.
- Pour drained beans, tomatoes, and water into the skillet.
- Bring mixture to a boil over high heat.
- Simmer on medium heat until thickened, approximately 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle chili with cheese and broil in the oven until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
Herbed Chicken Nuggets
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp chopped fresh parsley
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 pinch crushes red pepper flakes
- ½ cup dried breadcrumbs
- ½ cup wheat germ
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray
- Trim any visible fat from chicken and cut into 1-inch cubes
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs with the water and add chicken cubes
- Combine parsley, thyme, red pepper, brad crumbs, wheat germ, basil and ground pepper. Stir in the vegetable oil with a fork to distribute evenly. Pour seasoning mixture into a re-sealable plastic bag; add the chicken. Toss to coat.
- Place the coated chicken pieces on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, turn pieces an cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes with balsamic vinegar, basil and olive oil
- 1 pound broccoli florets
- 2 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic, and cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly. Pour in the tomatoes with their juices, and simmer until the liquid has reduced by about half.
- Place the broccoli on top of the tomatoes, and season with a little salt and pepper. Cover, and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender. Do not over cook the broccoli; it should be a vibrant green.
- Pour into a serving dish, and toss to blend with the sauce before serving.